My Community

Troubleshooting Directadmin Email

fitkoh

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Recent disappointments with google's ability to deliver friendly emails have led me to consider a self-hosted personal email for administrative communications.

The remote database feature will probably continue to  cause hiccups down the road. In this instance, roundcube webmail reader refused to install. I was able to download a copy of the install script - it's written in bash and I feel like I could probably muddle through editing it and maybe not break anything. However, Directadmin also supports squirrelmail as a webmail panel.

I used the CustomBuild feature to build squirrelmail, and it worked! I was able to log into my administrative email and find some system alerts. However, at this point, email was only working locally.

I checked some logs and the only evidence I could find was connection errors: Failed to connect to ...

I checked the firewall (again) and verified that port 25 was open.

At this point I googled "troubleshooting directadmin email" the first item to check is to  verify that port 25 is open. This is performed with telnet command in terminal from a remote location.

Code: [Select]
telnet i.p.address 25
I was unable to connect over port 25. The recommended procedure at this point is to contact your provider and ask if port 25 is blocked. I did, and it was. Support was fast and accommodating and opened the port no questions asked. A few minutes later a couple test emails arrived in my google inbox - not even in the spam folder! I still need to set up forwarding to my personal email and catch-all, but for now at least if you try to reach me at the admin email there is a chance it will get through.

I am considering allowing email on the cpanel hosting in a limited capacity - it isn't self-managed so it isn't my headache to deal with if the ip gets blacklisted for spam - and there isn't much I could do about it. I think it can be done relatively safely as long as I have strict limits on emails - maybe 100 a day per account to mitigate abuse potential.

deanhills

• Gatekeeper
    • View Profile
How about using Zoho mail with input.social domain?  You can get 5 accounts for free.  Dynamo and I have been using Zoho very successfully with post4vps.  It's very easy to set up.  And for me it has worked very well every time I used it.  One of the pluses is that if a Website goes down for any reason, then emails will still be up.

Forever Free Plan
Up to five users, 5GB/User, 25MB attachment limit.
Web access and free mobile apps*.
Email hosting for single domain.
https://www.zoho.com/mail/zohomail-pricing.html

fitkoh

• Administrator
    • View Profile
This is a very good note! Eventually maybe could be compiled with other freebies in a nice list.

I've gotten email working with confirmed receiving and delivering to google - the email didn't even go to my spam folder :)

I still need to set up forwarding so I don't have to check the admin email, but it appears to be working.

deanhills

• Gatekeeper
    • View Profile
Well done dude.  Getting e-mail to work with gmail is always a great feat accomplished!   8)