My Community

Backups offline

fitkoh · 10 · 231

fitkoh

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I was tinkering with the settings in proxmox on the backup server when it became time for a reboot to implement the new settings.

I rebooted the server and it's been stuck rebooting for 14 minutes now - in the past it has taken only about 2 minutes.

On the plus side, this means an increased chance of a partial refund if kimsufi can't meet their SLA - although they'd probably just issue me a new server before that happens - but if they do issue me a new server maybe I'll get lucky. Some people get i5's instead of i3s and maybe I'll land a HDD with some life left in it.

In the meantime, however, automated external backups are temporarily offline. I'll report back if/when kimsufi responds to my ticket or the server comes back up.

fitkoh

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I've decided to go ahead and reinstall the backup server. Support got it booted in rescue mode, but no other support. There are still some different virtualization options I want to try on other operating systems, and now seems an opportunistic time. What's good is that the web, db, and forums are all configured to back up via rsync - so all I have to do on a new system is set up secure keyless ssh and the backups will proceed as scheduled. I'm off work tomorrow so I should have time to get it worked out, and maybe some time to play with a new vm panel :)

deanhills

• Gatekeeper
    • View Profile
I understand you want backups as it is part of the service you purchased from Kimsufi so I agree and hope you can make it work.

I think backups can sometimes be a misleading idea for members who have this picture that their Websites will always be backed up, and even when they are asked to take care, it is difficult for them to visualize loss of a Website - like the host miraculously will be taking backups on a daily basis.  I've been through two major cpanel melt downs, that also corrupted backups that were backed up to a paid backup service that was connected with cpanel backups.  The Admin had been unaware that corrupted files through the gradual melt down of cpanel had let to faulty backups being taken.  So that was a nice surprise after the meltdown when the owner and Tech Admin discovered that the backups had been corrupting/melting down over a very long period of time.  He had to look around for last successful backups and in the process Gigarocket lost several months worth of posts and hosting account setups.

Panels have some draw backs - even cpanel.

I just thought I should mention this to you as I remember the Gigarocket experience in particular was memorable as at that time it had a paid service as well.  I'm not sure how one can continuously check up on the health of the backups other than now and then download and test them.  And make sure to indemnify against future situations like this by making it the member's responsibility to back up their Websites. Which is perfectly OK to expect with a free shared hosting account. On my side after the experience at Gigarocket I had lost some valuable work on one of the sites that I'd set up for work.  So ever since then once I've made edits on any of my sites, I always take a backup.  I have individual backups of all of my Websites, and I also periodically make backups of the Databases separately. 

fChk

• Hosted Member
    • View Profile
I just thought I should mention this to you as I remember the Gigarocket experience in particular was memorable as at that time it had a paid service as well.  I'm not sure how one can continuously check up on the health of the backups other than now and then download and test them.  And make sure to indemnify against future situations like this by making it the member's responsibility to back up their Websites. Which is perfectly OK to expect with a free shared hosting account. On my side after the experience at Gigarocket I had lost some valuable work on one of the sites that I'd set up for work.  So ever since then once I've made edits on any of my sites, I always take a backup.  I have individual backups of all of my Websites, and I also periodically make backups of the Databases separately.
A lot of wisdom in there deanhills :-) No wonder if one is aware of those years and years of experience being in the interface between the Admin side and the end-users side of the hosting business.

@fitkoh
I agree with deanhills. Even if you want to experiment with the backup process, I strongly suggest to not make it part of your free service package, at least (not publically) till you've tested it thoroughly.

The ToS should include the unavoidable part that states that making backups is the responsibility of users.. even though the service provides an (experimental) backup system with no guarantee etc.. Which  will limit users expectations and avoid potential blame if worse comes to worst.

fitkoh

• Administrator
    • View Profile
There is wisdom in what you say.

I  have to apologize at not checking in for a few days. Work has been very busy and I'll be in overtime again (which is good! :))

Over the last few days, my flatmate had an issue with his laptop and bought a new one -his old one I will inherit.

It's an i3 with 8gb ram and 500gb ssd. It's slightly better specs than what I had with kimsufi, but it's in my bedroom and I  can tinker with it on my terms as I like. I have chosen to not renew the kimsufi service and will hope to keep backups locally, and also have a device I can devote to learning how to manage virtualization at home - and the best part is no monthly fee. The downside is it's an old device that's already having problems so it may not last very long. Basically the perfect tool to learn on :)

deanhills

• Gatekeeper
    • View Profile
I  have to apologize at not checking in for a few days. Work has been very busy and I'll be in overtime again (which is good! :))
So do I @fitkoh.  I've had issues both with moving, then not moving, and then as if in a conspiracy my internet service provider is creating huge problems.  I now have a backup service in place, but may have issues for some time yet.  My accommodation fell through and not so sure how long I can stay where I am and where next to move to.  All of it being thoroughly distracting.  Think I want to join @fChk on his farm and live in a tent.  :D

Over the last few days, my flatmate had an issue with his laptop and bought a new one -his old one I will inherit.

It's an i3 with 8gb ram and 500gb ssd. It's slightly better specs than what I had with kimsufi, but it's in my bedroom and I  can tinker with it on my terms as I like. I have chosen to not renew the kimsufi service and will hope to keep backups locally, and also have a device I can devote to learning how to manage virtualization at home - and the best part is no monthly fee. The downside is it's an old device that's already having problems so it may not last very long. Basically the perfect tool to learn on :)
I totally forgot that a laptop can also be a server.  Must be fun for you to tinker with it.  I wouldn't have thought i3 would be good to use.  I always thought i3 was for "light use", i5 for heavier and i7 most useful.  Just shows you how little informed I am.

Can be fun however.  I remember when I purchased an old 2010 second hand ThinkPad X201 in 2016 i5, and to my surprise its performance turned out to be better than my Toshiba Portege Z830  i7 that I purchased in 2012. Both had 4GB RAM memory, but the processor of the Lenovo ThinkPad X201 felt faster.

fChk

• Hosted Member
    • View Profile
So do I @fitkoh.  I've had issues both with moving, then not moving, and then as if in a conspiracy my internet service provider is creating huge problems.  I now have a backup service in place, but may have issues for some time yet.  My accommodation fell through and not so sure how long I can stay where I am and where next to move to.  All of it being thoroughly distracting.  Think I want to join @fChk on his farm and live in a tent.  :D
Haha!.. Reminds me of my nomadic years during my grad years in France :-) Hope you'll land -or better yet- you've landed safely in a place of your liking.  Some job opportunity I would guess? or is it just a desire to move somewhere less crowded in these times of lockdown?

I totally forgot that a laptop can also be a server.  Must be fun for you to tinker with it.  I wouldn't have thought i3 would be good to use.  I always thought i3 was for "light use", i5 for heavier and i7 most useful.  Just shows you how little informed I am.
It's the software you install that ultimately dictate the role of a machine (server vs desktop/client) , not the hardware or the form-factor: I've used Pentium PCs running Fedora 32bit versions as servers for a decade.

deanhills

• Gatekeeper
    • View Profile
Haha!.. Reminds me of my nomadic years during my grad years in France :-) Hope you'll land -or better yet- you've landed safely in a place of your liking.  Some job opportunity I would guess? or is it just a desire to move somewhere less crowded in these times of lockdown?
Nope.  I'm still searching.  Simple case of more supply than demand.  Hopefully it will be sorted eventually. 

Haha ..... France.  How did you survive France? The little I remember of my short visit is these guys can get hot under the collar quite fast. Did you study IT?

fChk

• Hosted Member
    • View Profile
Haha ..... France.  How did you survive France? The little I remember of my short visit is these guys can get hot under the collar quite fast.
Like everywhere else, it's a mixed bag.. But, yes, there is a french 'temperament' that one can't escape noticing for sure!

Did you study IT?
Nope!...  It was exclusively in the Biosciences fields.. My interest in IT and Web technologies was a late comer and a guilty pleasure that I've nurtured on my own.

deanhills

• Gatekeeper
    • View Profile
Aha @fChk  A Biosciences graduate.  Hence your more detailed and factual grasp and insight of Covid 19 literature.