My Community

BlueStacks Android Emulator

deanhills

• Gatekeeper
    • View Profile
I'm moving to new accommodation at the end of the month and am expecting that everything will be upside down for a while.  My easy life of WiFi and low cost accommodation that was very uncomplicated will come to an end regrettably.  I was for example able to share a TV service before for small change and won't be able to do that any longer.  Cost of the rental has also sky rocketed.  My new accommodation will require maintenance as well as it's a very old place so it's probably going to be very expensive and disruptive for a while.

Any way, long story short, I'm trying to find a way to get some of my regular TV programs through streaming that is only available through Android.  I'm hoping to view it on my desktop computer for free eventually.  But the app only works with Android.  So tonight I downloaded an Android Emulator BlueStacks to my Desktop Computer.  I was surprised it worked.  It's a bit slow and not very smooth, but it's much better than a couple of years ago when I had tried it before.  It's BlueStacks Version 5.

Does any one else here work with Android Emulators on their LapTops or Desktops?  Are you using BlueStacks or are there other better options out there?

I'm planning to completely nix the local TV Channel.  I'll use my old 2008 LG TV with a Video machine instead that can work with USB.  For news I'll be able to get this on the Web.  Probably BBC and Al Jazeera.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2021, 07:02:11 pm by deanhills »

fitkoh

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I haven't tried bluestacks, but emulation will almost always result in lesser performance.

Android is recognized as an operating system for mobile phones, but it gets installed on a variety of devices: tv streaming sticks and boxes and even directly on the tv. I found an "Android TV Box" on Amazon for 25$ USD - a fairly reasonable cost for a streaming devices you can use without a monthly payment.

Another option you might look into is Phoenix OS. I haven't used it myself, but it claims to be an operating system "based on the open source components of android" but it runs on an x86 pc/laptop. While not being "true Android" it may not run the apps you hope to install, but it may be worth a try - and it would run directly on the hardware without the emulation layer.

deanhills

• Gatekeeper
    • View Profile
Another option you might look into is Phoenix OS. I haven't used it myself, but it claims to be an operating system "based on the open source components of android" but it runs on an x86 pc/laptop. While not being "true Android" it may not run the apps you hope to install, but it may be worth a try - and it would run directly on the hardware without the emulation layer.
Thanks for the suggestion @fitkoh.  I've been trying a few Google Play downloads.  It's dragging, but it's working. 

The main reason for the download was I'm trying to slash my costs more.  I was lucky to get shared TV Channel at my current accommodation, and it would be very expensive to buy this at my new accommodation.  So there was an android cheap option for getting into some of the channels I'd miss.  I don't think it's going to work though.  As the free channels available on that app in Android allows for grainy picture as it is at a lesser picture quality than the paid version.  They're obviously wanting paid subscribers vs free subscribers even though they are advertising the free version to rope subscribers in.  Also, I can't get a full picture with the Android Emulator, logically because it's an emulator.  Any way, I'll probably be taking Bluestacks down shortly, although maybe it would be good for apps I'm curious about and don't want to load on my phone. 

Anyway, the place I'm moving to has a local channel dish available, and I'm now thinking of subscribing for the cheapest package available, that would then contain the most important programs I'm interested in.  Picture would then be much better. Cost would then turn out less than the shared cost at my current accommodation. One also has an option to stream the same content through one's computer or other devices. And the picture quality would be much improved over the Android service. I doubt I'll be using Android.  I find there are just too many online services who want you to set yourself up for being very easy to pay for services with credit cards on your cell phone.